Making a Planning Application
We recommend you submit your planning application to us electronically, via the Planning Portal. This can be done by clicking here.
The Planning Portal site allows you to complete an on-line application form, buy site location plans, attach drawings and make your application electronically. You can also purchase site location plans direct from us .
Alternatively you can email the forms and supporting information through to us via email@example.com or you can submit your planning applications through the post or deliver them to the council direct. Before you do so, why not take a look at the benefits of applying online? If you wish to submit your application using the traditional method we will require two copies of all documentation. All plans for the submission for planning permission should be drawn to an appropriate metric scale, block plans of a scale not less than 1:1250 should also be included.
Whilst the council can provide guidance to help you submit your planning application, you may wish to employ your own planning agent to submit an application on your behalf. Details of professionals who maybe able to help you submit your application are available here.
If you are unsure if planning is required, please visit our “Do I need Planning Permission” dedicated help section.
Planning Application Fees
The most common application submitted is a Householder Application for planning permission, this is for all works and extensions to a single dwelling. The fee for this type of application is £206. For all other fees Planning Application Fees
Payment of application fees
To pay for your planning application online please click the link here and filter to the planning fee options and enter the details.
To pay for your planning application fee over the phone please call 01253 658658 and a customer services specialist will take your payment.
Planning Application Forms
Planning application forms can be found here.
Publication of planning applications on council websites
Please note that with the exception of applicant contact details and Certificates of Ownership, the information provided on this application form and in supporting documents may be published on the council’s website.
If you have provided any other information as part of your application which falls within the definition of personal data under the Data Protection Act which you do not wish to be published on the council’s website, please contact the council’s planning department.
Prior notification applications
- Prior notification – Agricultural building
- Prior notification – Agricultural road
- Prior notification – demolition
- Prior notification – telecom
- Householder planning permission
- Householder and listed building consent
- Householder and demolition in a conservation area
- Notification of prior approval for a proposed larger home extension
Full planning permission
- Full planning permission
- Full planning and display of advertisements
- Full planning and demolition in a conservation area
- Full planning and listed building consent
- Outline planning permission – All matters reserved
- Outline planning permission – Some matters reserved
Other application forms
- Tree works – works to trees in a conservation area and/or subject to a tree preservation order (TPO)
- Removal or variation of a condition
- Non-material amendment following a grant of planning permission
- Approval of details reserved by condition
- Listed building consent for alterations, extension or demolition of a listed building
- Consent to display an advertisement(s)
- Reserved matters following outline approval
Prior approval for change of use
- Prior approval for agricultural to commercial
- Prior approval for agricultural to dwelling house
- Prior approval for light industry to dwelling house
- Prior approval for office to dwelling house
- Prior approval for retail to offices
- Prior approval for shop to dwelling house
- Prior approval for shop to leisure
- Prior approval for shop to restaurant
- Prior approval for additional storeys to a dwelling