Under the Gambling Act 2005 (“the Act”) Permits are issued to premises that either offer very low-stakes and prizes gambling, or premises whose primary function is not the provision of gambling facilities. Therefore, the only premises eligible to apply to us for Permits are:

  • Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centres
  • Alcohol Licensed Premises (under Licensing Act 2003)
  • Clubs, both commercial and non-commercial
  • Premises wishing to offer commercial prize-gaming

We will issue the following types of Permit under the Act:

  • Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permit
  • Club Gaming Permit
  • Club Machine Permit
  • Licensed Premises Gaming Machine
  • Prize Gaming Permit

There are several key differences between a Permit and a Gambling Premises Licence:

  • Permit applicants/holders are not required to have an Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission
  • There are no responsible authorities or interested parties in relation to Permit application’s
  • We can only grant or reject Permits, we can not attach conditions.
  • The Gambling Commission has less power and involvement in relation to Permits than they do with a Gambling Premises Licence.
  • With the exception of Permits relating to alcohol licensed premises, Permits are of limited duration.