Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are out of work or on a low income.

It is run by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and replaces the following six main working age benefits with a single monthly payment:

  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit will be paid directly into your bank account each month. Any help you get with your rent will be included in your monthly Universal Credit payment so you will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord.

You should only apply to Fylde Council for help with your rent if:

  • You are a pensioner (and your partner if you have one is a pensioner), or
  • You live in a hostel, refuge, sheltered housing or a supported living complex
  • And you pay rent in the Fylde Council area

Customers who need help with their council tax should continue to make their claim to the Council.

You can find out more information and search for popular terms on the central government website.

Help to apply

Universal Credit is administered online; you will need to use the internet to make and manage your claim and to search for jobs.

Citizens Advice can support you to make a new claim for Universal Credit from opening your account to receiving your first full payment.

If you prefer to receive help over the phone you can telephone 0800 144 8444

Council tax

Universal Credit does not include help towards your Council tax, you should apply to the Council as soon as possible by clicking here.

Please note that Fylde Council are not part of the application process for Universal Credit. The process is all online by using the link above. If you have any issues please phone the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644. They are available Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.