Help with your council tax

If you pay council tax to Fylde Council and have savings less than £16,000 you can apply to us for help.

Help with your rent

If you pay rent and have savings less than £16,000 you can apply for help with your rent to Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is only paid from the date the DWP receive your claim so you should apply straight away.

Important: If you apply to Fylde Council for help with your rent when you should have applied to the DWP for Universal Credit you will lose money as the DWP will not backdate your claim.

You should only apply to Fylde Council for help with your rent if:

  • You are a pensioner (and your partner if you have one is a pensioner), or
  • You live in a hostel, refuge, sheltered housing or a supported living complex
  • And you pay rent in the Fylde Council area

Fylde Council can only deal with claims for help with rent for the people listed above.

If this is not you it is important that you apply to Universal Credit for help with your rent.

Once you start your claim you should keep a note of your form reference number beginning FYL (e.g. FYL9999) should you need to contact us about your claim.

If you are already receiving housing benefit from us and you move home within Fylde use this form to let us know.

If you have an enquiry you can email You could also contact us by post or visit the Customer Service Centre.

In this section you can find out if you entitled to any benefit and/or reduction, apply for housing benefit or council tax reduction, view local housing allowance (LHA) rates, report fraud and view information for landlords with tenants on benefits.

You can now access your housing benefit entitlement details plus your payment details as soon as they have been produced by going online and registering for the Benefits service at:-

Please note if you choose to do this you must also register for eNotifications at the same time. This will ensure you receive an email whenever a change is made to your claim. You will also then be able to view all correspondence issued to you via our online service.

If you need to contact the Benefits service please call 01253 658 658 or email

Housing Benefit – If you’re on a low income and need financial help to pay all or part of your rent, you may be able to get Housing Benefit.

Council Tax Reduction – If you’re on a low income and need financial help to pay all or part of your council tax bill, you may be able to get Council Tax Reduction.

The Council wants everyone who would qualify for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction to claim the help they are entitled to receive. Help is available for anyone who needs assistance with making a claim. It is important to claim straight away as any delay may result in the loss of benefit.