Who is responsible for your data?

Fylde Council is the Data Controller for the personal information you have provided in this form. The Council’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at dpo@fylde.gov.uk or by writing to Data Protection Officer, The Town Hall, St Anne’s Road West, St Anne’s, FY8 1LW

What do we do with the information you give us in your application and any supporting information?

When you wish to claim Discretionary Housing Payment or Council Tax Reduction Hardship payment we will require the following information where necessary with evidence to be able to calculate an award: – name and address; proof of identity; date of birth; national insurance number; household details; income and savings details; tenancy, property and landlord details, where appropriate; contact phone number and/or email (if you choose to provide this); bank details if we are to pay Discretionary Housing Payment. Most of this information will be verified using your current Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction claim. We will also require information with evidence of your household expenditure, including any debt repayments. If you do not provide this information we may not be able to decide your award. If you provide false information you may be paid the wrong amount and may be subject to overpayment recovery action. We will use the information you have given us in your application and any supporting information to decide whether you are entitled to a discretionary housing payment or council tax reduction hardship and, if you are, to calculate the amount and to process and make the payment.

What is the lawful basis for processing my information?

Processing your information is necessary for us to process and pay discretionary housing payments and council tax reduction hardship, each of which is a task carried out in the public interest.

Who will we share your information with?

We will share your information with other Council Services where this is permitted by the legislation or is necessary to ensure you are receiving services to help you. We will share your information with Blackpool Council, which administers the Discretionary Housing payments and Council Tax Reduction hardship awards on behalf of Fylde Borough Council. We will also share your information with the Department for Work and Pensions or other Government departments. We will also share your information with others if we are required to do so by law, to fulfil a statutory duty or ordered to do so by a Court. We may share information with your landlord where appropriate if you have given permission to us to do so on your Housing Benefit claim form or following further discussions with you where we agree it may be in your interests for us to do so.

How long will we keep your information?

We will keep your information securely for the time that you are claiming Discretionary Housing Payment or Council Tax Reduction Hardship payment. When your claim stops we will then keep your information securely for a further 6 years to comply with legislation. More information on retention can be found on our website www.fylde.gov.uk


We do not transfer your information to a third country (that is a country outside of the EEA). If you claim Discretionary Housing Payment or Council Tax Reduction Hardship payment we may use your information in some calculations which use an automated decision-making process. If this applies we will let you know the outcome.

Your Rights

You have a number of rights relating to the processing of your information, including the right to access the information we hold about you (via a Subject Access Request), the right to erasure (the right to be forgotten) and the right to have inaccurate data corrected. More information about your rights can be found on the Council’s website (www.fylde.gov.uk), the Information Commissioner’s website (www.ico.org.uk) or you can ask for information about these rights from the Council’s Data Protection Officer.


If you are not happy with how the Council has handled your personal information, you can complain to us to give us an opportunity to resolve this with you. You should contact the Data Protection Officer if you have a complaint. Alternatively, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.

Their contact details are: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, WILMSLOW, Cheshire, SK9 5AF Telephone 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or by email to casework@ico.org.uk