The final version St Annes Town Centre Masterplan has been approved for formal adoption by the Planning Committee of Fylde Council on 27 July 2022.
The masterplan, prepared by a team of expert consultants led by BDP, uses a suite of extensive research and reports to present a comprehensive vision for the redevelopment of the St Annes seafront and town centre. This document would then be used to guide future investment in the town, to support applications for grant, funding, and to help secure Section 106 contributions from future developments in the area.
There are seven major project proposals comprising the masterplan:
- A gateway development at the Station to create a new arrival plaza with a visitor and active travel hub, with hotel or office space above, to welcome visitors to the town
- A transformation of St Annes Square with more space for businesses to spill out into the Square, a new flexible space for markets and events, and improved pedestrian and cycling links from the station to the seafront
- The remodelling of the link between the Square and the Pier, to reduce traffic and increase public realm to improve the pedestrian experience and encourage more visitors to the seafront to explore the town centre and vice versa.
- A new public square at The Pier itself to replace the current surface level car park, with new visitor-focused commercial opportunities.
- A significant upgrade to the leisure attractions at the Island site, with a new seafront development including an improved cinema, restaurants and bars with hotel suites above, and the expansion of the swimming pool.
- A careful upgrade of the Listed Promenade Gardens to incorporate more family-focused activities, spaces for relaxation and pop-up stalls while respecting its current offering and heritage elements.
- A new development opportunity at the South Promenade Car Park to provide a seafront visitor centre and café.
In July, Fylde Council submitted a £14.6 million bid to Round 2 of the Government’s Levelling Up Fund, the decision of which is expected to be communicated to applicants this Autumn. If funding is approved, project planning will start immediately, with the first phase of the work to be completed by March 2025.
Councillor Karen Buckley, Leader of Fylde Council, said: “We are delighted to be able to present the approved St Annes Town Centre Masterplan. The feedback we have received from local businesses and residents through community engagement has proven invaluable in the creation of this ambitious and exciting framework, which outlines numerous inspired proposals to further enhance the appeal of our beautiful seaside town, and we look forward to seeing it realised.”
Mark Menzies MP, Member for Fylde, said: “I am pleased to have played a part in the development of the St Annes Masterplan and know how important it is to deliver investment in the town.
“This is an exciting vision, building on the fantastic heritage of a unique Lancashire seaside resort town. I will continue to do all I can to support investment in St Annes and to help turn this vision into a reality.”
Francis Glare, Principal at BDP, said: “St Annes on the Sea is a classic seaside resort with a bright future. As a result of extensive consultation, the masterplan proposals reinforce the attractiveness of St Annes as a place to visit and a place to live, distinct from but complementary to the neighbouring towns of Blackpool and Lytham.”
More information about the St Annes Town Centre Regeneration can be found at the Fylde Council website. To receive updates on this and other exciting developments in Fylde, sign up to the Fylde Council newsletter.
Keep up to date with the latest Fylde Council news by following us on social media or subscribing to our newsletter. Any new information will be posted directly through these channels, so if you are following us, you’ll be the first to know.