All access onto a public highway from a residential or commercial driveway should be via a ‘dropped kerb’ (sometimes referred to as dropped crossings or vehicular crossings/access). You are strongly advised not to commence work on providing a driveway or hardstanding on your property until you have considered the following requirements:

Do I need a dropped kerb?

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a road, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerbs, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law. Enforcement action could be taken to prevent such usage, if necessary. Furthermore, you may become liable for any damage to the surface of the footway caused by your vehicle.

If you wish to apply for an estimate for dropped kerbs or require further details then please contact the highway authority, Lancashire County Council (external link).

What does a dropped kerb access consist of?

The dropped kerb is installed on the footway outside of the property concerned. The crossing will be constructed so that it will protect the utility services below the surface (eg water and gas mains) from any damage. The crossing and footway (pavement) remains the responsibility of the highway authority or its partner authorities.

Can I undertake the required work myself?

Please contact Lancashire County Council (external link) for further information.

Do I need planning permission for a dropped kerb?

Depending upon the type of road and other factors, it may be necessary that planning permission is required for dropped kerbs. If in doubt on this aspect then please contact:

How do I apply for an estimate for dropped kerbs?

You can follow the contact details opposite for Lancashire County Council (external link).