Building Control and Planning are two distinct types of service which can affect the construction and appearance of buildings. For most building work two separate application’s are necessary in order to obtain both Building Regulation’s and Planning Applications consent.

The majority of building works require Building Regulation approval with only a few minor works being exempt. Further details of the type of work covered by the Building Regulation’s can be found at What Needs Approval. Major works need Planning Permission from the Council, but many minor works may not. If you are in any doubt about whether or not you need Planning Permission, then do not hesitate to contact a member of the Development Control Team.

The main function of the Building Control section is to ensure that new building work is carried out in accordance with the Building Regulation’s. We do this by checking the plans and details submitted with an application and then inspecting the construction work as it progresses on site.

In general the Building Regulation’s are intended to:

  • Safeguard the health and safety of people in and around buildings
  • Conserve energy
  • Provide access and facilities for disabled people.

Whilst Building Regulation’s work forms a large part of what we do the term Building Control covers much more. It also includes:

  • Dangerous Buildings and Structures
  • Demolitions
  • Access for Disabled People
  • Support to other services on a variety of subjects

The Planning Services Service Unit includes the Development Control function which is responsible for determining Planning Application’s. Planning controls the location, siting, design, layout and appearance of buildings and land uses.

The Development Control and Enforcement Teams regulate development proposals within a framework of legislation approved by parliament.