In September the government announced that vulnerable households across the country will be able to access a new £500 million support fund to help them with essentials over the winter. This funding is available from the 6 October 2021 to 31 March 2022 inclusive.
The grant will directly help those who need it most and will be distributed through small payments to support vulnerable households meet daily needs such as food, clothing, and utilities.
It should primarily be used to support households in the most need with food, energy and water bills, however it can also be used to support households with wider essential costs such as boiler service/repair and the purchase of equipment including fridges and freezers.
At least 50% of the available funding has been allocated for those vulnerable households with children, and delivery of the funds can be made through a variety of different routes including vouchers, making direct provision of food, or issuing grants to third parties.
Please see below for a full list of services available and how to make contact to enquire:
Citizens Advice Bureau
- Energy – voucher scheme for topping up prepayment meters and/or direct contact with suppliers to clear debt for billing customers
- Water bills & support for other household bills in exceptional circumstances except mortgage payments and council tax
- Winter Coat Scheme – a voucher scheme with ASDA to buy a coat for families in need
- White Goods – a voucher scheme with Curry’s to provide necessary white goods and include delivery, fitting, and removal costs
- Travel to work – voucher scheme
Preston Care and Repair
- Boiler repair/service