Fylde Council are now making it easier for people to recycle more plastic waste.
In addition to the plastic bottles for liquids which are already collected, from October 1st 2019 residents will be able to put clean plastic pots, tubs and trays in either their blue recycling bin or green box.
These include yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, and meat, fruit and vegetable trays of any shape or colour, along with their lids.
People are being urged to rinse items to increase the likelihood that they will be recycled. If the plastic still has food waste on it, or is covered in plastic film, it can cause a problem as it goes through the recycling system. This can also make it unsuitable for reprocessing, and means that it won’t be recycled.
Anything with a number 1, 2 or 5 within the recycling triangle that will be stamped on to the plastic items should go into your blue recycling bin/ green box.
County Councillor Albert Atkinson, Lancashire County Council cabinet member for waste management, said: “Recycling these extra plastics is very simple – the colour and shape of the container doesn’t matter – the main thing is to check that that it can be recycled, and give it a rinse. This helps to make sure things aren’t rejected when they go through our system. Food left on the container can also make it unsuitable for re-processing, resulting in the plastic not getting recycled.”
Around 90% of the plastic from recycling collected in Lancashire is processed within the UK. Recycled plastic can be made into new products such as fleeces, pillows or new plastic bottles.
What we currently collect:
- Glass bottles
- Glass jars
- Food tins
- Drink cans
- Clean foil
- Clean foil trays
- Empty aerosol cans
- Metal biscuit and sweet tins
- Metal bottle caps and lids
- Plastic bottles, including, for example cosmetic and detergent bottles
- Plastic lids (either on or off the bottles)
From 1st October we will also be able to collect the following items:
- Plastic pots (e.g. yoghurt, soup, etc.)
- Plastic tubs (e.g. margarine, ice cream, etc.)
- Plastic trays / punnets (e.g. raw meat or ham trays; take-away trays; fruit /veg trays)
- Remove any film lids and absorbent pads found in the bottom of meat/fruit/veg trays, and put these in your grey bin or sack
- Chocolate and biscuit tubs and trays
- Other clear plastic packaging marked with a 1, 2 or 5 within the recycling triangle
- Plant pots (plant and soil removed)
Please put plastic wrappers, plastic film and plastic bags in your grey bin or sack, as these items cannot be recycled in the blue bin or green box.
For more information on what can be recycled in Fylde please visit our website www.fylde.gov.uk