gtag('config', 'UA-129305841-1');

Local authorities have a legal requirement to conduct an annual ‘canvass’ in order to prepare and publish a revised Register of Electors by 1 February 2021.

From July, every household will receive some form of Canvass Communication to find out if the details on the electoral register are correct.
Your household may be contacted in different ways, such as by:
• post
• email
• phone
• knocking on your door

If you need to update your details on the electoral register, it’s important that you respond as soon as you can. This means reminders don’t have to be sent, and someone does not need to visit you to get this information.

What do I need to do?

• If you have been sent a canvass communication confirming the names of people already living at your address, and there are no changes, you do not need to respond.

• If you have been sent a canvass communication which asks you to make any changes, you need to respond by law, and provide the information requested on the form.

There is a criminal penalty for failing to provide the information required by the canvass form to the Electoral Registration Officer of a maximum of £1,000. The penalty for providing false information to an Electoral Registration Officer is imprisonment of up to 51 weeks in England, (on summary conviction) an unlimited fine.

If all the details on the canvass communication are correct, you can confirm there are no changes via, phone 0800 197 9871 or by texting NOCHANGE with your security code to 80212.

To confirm no changes by any of these methods you will need your security code which can be located on the front of your canvass communication.

You can also sign the form and return it to us in the enclosed pre-paid envelope.

 If no pre-paid envelope is provided contact the Elections office via or 01253 658658.

If someone needs to be added or removed visit You will need your security code which can be located on the front of your canvass communication.

Alternatively, you can add the details to the form, sign it, and return it to us in the enclosed pre paid envelope.


The Canvass Communication you receive is for information and is not a registration form; anyone added will also need to register individually. Follow the instructions after confirming the details on the bove website or register at

Alternatively, we will send the individual a further form to complete which will be addressed to them directly.


If someone has left the property, completing the changes online or returning the form will begin the process of removing their details from the register.

We may need to send some further correspondence to the person to confirm that we will be removing their details from the Register.

Name Change

Once you have amended the details via the online form, or returned the completed paper form, you will be required to supply evidence of the name change, for example marriage certificate or deed poll. Copies of these documents are acceptable and we can accept a scanned and emailed version via


Students may register at both their term-time address and their non-term-time address.

Second homes

You can register at two addresses if you spend an equal amount of time between each property.

Registered twice

If you are registered to vote in two different electoral areas, you can vote in local elections for the two different local councils. However, it is an offence to vote twice in the same type of election, such as in a UK general election. Doing this could result in a fine of up to £5,000.

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers- the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The Electoral Register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law such as:

detecting crime (e.g fraud)
calling people for jury service
checking credit applications

The Open Register is an extract of the electoral register, but it is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask/have asked for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

If the ‘Included on the Open Register’ column on your Canvass Communication is blank then your details currently appear on the Open Register.

If the word ‘NO’ is printed in this column, your details do not currently appear on the Open Register.

If an individual wishes to amend their Open Register status, they need to contact the Electoral Registration Officer via an email to

Back to top