We employ hundreds of staff at election time to make sure that the process is run smoothly, in an open and transparent way.
What working at a polling station involves:
You’ll start your day around 6am, making sure the polling station is set up before polls open at 7am. As voters arrive, you’ll be issuing ballot papers and marking registers.
You’ll talk to voters as they arrive and make sure they know what to do. You’ll also be the first point of contact for someone who needs help.
Most of the time you’ll be at a desk helping voters from across your community. The role has a real community feel to it and you’ll get to speak to and help lots of people from your local area.
Usually, you’ll be working until approx.11pm.
Online training is provided in the weeks before the election, along with a Polling Station handbook.
However there are some requirements you must meet to apply. You must:
- be over 18 years old
- have a right to work in the UK
- have a good standard of English
- have not worked for a candidate standing in the election you want to work in
You will need to declare on your application if you are:
- a member of a political party
- a close relative of a candidate
- actively campaigning at elections
What working as a Count Assistant involves:
The purpose of the count staff is to open ballot boxes, verify that the number of votes in the ballot boxes matches the number of ballot papers issued and then count the votes for each candidate in the election.
Count Assistant’s duties are straightforward but undertaken in an environment that can at times be pressurised as the count is undertaken in the presence of candidates, their counting agents or other observers.
The greatest of care must be taken to help prevent mistakes from happening.
As a Count Assistant you will:
- Attend training if required
- Have read and agreed to the terms of the Secrecy provisions
- Act impartially at all times and respect confidentiality of material handled
- Refrain from engaging in conversations with candidates, agents, Councillors or guests
- Act upon instructions from your supervisor
If you interested in working for us, click the button below to complete the staff interest application.