If the amount of Housing Benefit or the housing costs element of your Universal Credit you receive does not cover your full rent you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) to help you pay the shortfall.
If you need extra help towards your council tax you may qualify for a Council Tax Discretionary Discount.
You will need to complete an online application form and we will look at your personal and financial circumstances.
- Your income
- Whether you have any savings
- Whether anyone else in the house is able to help you pay your rent
- Whether you have any loans or debts still to pay
- Whether you could manage your money better to ease the situation
- Whether you or your family are ill or disabled
If when we look at your application we need more information from you we will let you know.
There is no list covering every situation that will be allowed a Discretionary Housing Payment and each application will be considered on its own merits.
Please apply online by clicking here.