Who is responsible for your data?

Fylde Borough Council is the Data Controller for the personal information you have provided. The Council’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at dpo@fylde.gov.uk or by writing to Data Protection Officer, Town Hall, Lytham St Annes, FY8 1PW.

What information do we need?

When determining liability for the Council Tax we can request information, including your name and address, (contact phone number and/or email if you choose to provide this), the address of the property subject to the Council Tax, owner and/or tenant details. We may also request information relevant to the award of discounts and exemptions, such as if the property is furnished, undergoing renovation, or adapted for the use of a disabled person. If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, we will request your bank details. This information will be used to calculate the Council Tax amount for the address and, if applicable, we will use the bank information to collect payments. If you do not provide this information or provide false information you may be charged the wrong amount and may be subject to an offence.

Why do we need this?

We are allowed to ask for your information as the Council has a statutory duty to administer and collect the Council Tax, which is a task carried out in the public interest. We use the information to assess and collect Council Tax from you and to keep the records that we are required to keep by law. If we believe that information that you have given us is inaccurate, we will use the information to consider whether to take formal action such as prosecution or civil recovery.

Who will we share your information with?

We will share your information with Blackpool Council, who collect and administer Council Tax on our behalf, and we will share your information with other Council Services where this is permitted by legislation or is necessary to ensure you are receiving services to help you.
We will share your information with others if we are required, or able, to do so by law or ordered to do so by a Court. We may share your information with the Single Fraud Investigation Service, the Police and the Crown Prosecution Service.

How long will we keep your information?

We will keep your information securely for the time that you are liable for Council Tax. We will then keep the records for the current financial year plus an additional 13 years. More information on retention can be found on our website (www.fylde.gov.uk)


We do not transfer your information to a third country (that is a country outside of the EEA).
If you claim Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit we may use your information in some calculations which use an automated decision-making process. If this applies we will let you know the outcome.

Your Rights

You have a number of rights relating to the processing of your information, including the right to access the information we hold about you (via a Subject Access Request), the right to erasure (the right to be forgotten) and the right to have inaccurate data corrected. More information about your rights can be found on the Council’s website (www.fylde.gov.uk), the Information Commissioner’s website (www.ico.org.uk) or you can ask for information about these rights from the Council’s Data Protection Officer.


If you are not happy with how the Council has handled your personal information, you can complain to us to give us an opportunity to resolve this with you. You should contact the Data Protection Officer if you have a complaint. Alternatively, you can complain to the Information Commissioner. Their contact details are: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Telephone 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or by email to casework@ico.org.uk