Here at Fylde Council, we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide the products and services you have requested from us or have consented to us providing or as otherwise permitted by law. To satisfy the requirements of the UK General Data Protection Regulation, the Council is obliged to make it clear to you how we use your personal data, who we might share it with and to give you certain other information. 

What personal information do our public space surveillance cameras collect? 

The cameras record video footage of the public spaces where they are located. Usually, they will give a general overview of that space. But sometimes they will be focused on particular places, incidents, situations or people. The video footage will include identifiable images of people using the public spaces. These identifiable images are the personal information of those people. 

What do we do with the personal information that we gather by using our surveillance cameras in public spaces? 

Normally, the video footage including identifiable images is observed in real time by our CCTV operators and is recorded by our systems. We look at the real time stream and the recorded footage to pinpoint any crime, anti-social behaviour or other incident or situation that might affect the safety or wellbeing of people using the public space. This is so we can alert the police and other agencies to deal with any issues as they happen and to assist the police or other agencies to identify the people involved.  

How long will we keep the information? 

The recordings are usually automatically deleted after 31 days. But if the footage includes a suspected occurrence of crime or anti-social behaviour or some other incident or situation that would warrant it, the footage would be kept until that matter is resolved, including the resolution of any legal processes or the expiration of any time limits for commencing legal proceedings. 

Who might we share personal information with? 

We will routinely share video footage, including any identifiable images, with Wyre Borough Council, who operate our CCTV monitoring facility. If the video footage includes a suspected occurrence of crime or anti-social behaviour or some other incident or situation that would warrant it, we will share the footage with the police or other relevant agency concerned with crime, anti-social behaviour or public safety or well-being.  

What is the lawful basis for processing the personal information? 

Processing the personal information is on the basis that it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest. The task is ensuring, as far as possible, that public spaces are safe and welcoming. 

Who is the data controller and how can I get in touch? 

Fylde Borough Council is the data controller. You can contact us by email at, by phone on 01257 658658, or at the Town Hall, St Annes Road West, Lytham St Annes FY8 1LW. 

Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at the same address, or at, or on 01253 658506. 

What rights do I have about my data? 

You have the right to request access to information about you that we hold, including video footage from the surveillance cameras. To make a request for footage comprising your personal information, contact the Councils Surveillance Officer at or our Data Protection Officer, whose details are above. You should include the time you believe that you were filmed by a surveillance camera, the location of the camera and, if possible, information that would help us to identify you on the footage, such as what you were wearing at the time you believe you were filmed. 

You also have the right to: 

  • Object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress 
  • Prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing 
  • In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and 
  • Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection legislation 

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at