Please note: This is a Government Scheme and payments will be made in accordance with national guidelines

Why am I receiving this payment?

The Government has announced measures to assist households with the rising increase in energy costs. This will include a payment of £150 to all households in Council Tax Bands A to D.

Payments are now being made by a letter that will be issued to your household to allow collection of the rebate from the Post Office.

If you pay your council tax by direct debit from your bank account, and meet the eligibility criteria below, your £150 rebate has already been sent to this account.

Please check your bank account before contacting us.

If you have not received a rebate payment you did not meet the direct debit payment criteria when these payments were made. Your rebate eligibility will be checked and, if you qualify payment will be made by Post Office letter in the next few weeks.

Who is entitled to receive the payment?

The eligibility criteria to receive the payment is:

The property is in Council Tax bands A – D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme; and

It is someone’s sole or main residence; and

There is a liability to pay Council Tax or it is in the following exemption classes:

  • N – Fully occupied by full time qualifying students
  • S – Occupied by under 18’s (however, liability normally sits with the landlord or a care provider – mostly a company)
  • U – All residents are Severely Mentally Impaired
  • W – Occupied separately assessed annexes occupied by a dependant relative (i.e. granny annexes)

To receive any payment the property must satisfy these qualifying criteria as at 1st April 2022.

You can check your Council Tax Band here. 

Who will not be eligible to receive a payment?

Local authorities, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body are not eligible.

Second homes and unoccupied properties will not be eligible for a payment.

People who did not satisfy these qualifying criteria as at 1 April 2022 e.g. you were not liable to pay council tax on 1 April 2022.

Will I need to apply?

You will not need to apply for the payment regardless of how you pay your Council Tax.

When will I get my payment?

Payment letters are now being issued, and should be received by the end of May.

Can the money be credited to my Council Tax account?

Government guidance states that a payment must be made where possible.

Will I need to pay it back?

No, unless we find that you were not eligible for a payment or the money has been fraudulently claimed.

Will I need to pay it back if I move a few weeks after payment?


I am waiting for my property to be banded for Council Tax, will I receive a payment?

When the decision is made by the Valuation Office and if the eligibility criteria are met then you will receive a payment.

I have an appeal in against my Council Tax banding, what will happen if it reduces and ends up in Bands A to D. Will I get my payment?

We may include these properties in our discretionary scheme but further details will be announced in due course. Only those properties that had an appeal lodged with the Valuation Office prior to 3rd February 2022 would be eligible.

There is more than one person liable to pay Council Tax, will we get £150 each?

Payments are made on behalf of the household, and only one payment can be made per household. The payment will go to the Direct Debit payer or persons named on the Council Tax bill.

Discretionary payments

Eligibility for discretionary payments and the details will be published soon.

Will this payment affect any of my other benefits?

No, it will be disregarded and you do not need to tell anyone about it.

I am overdrawn at the bank and £150 will be swallowed up in my overdraft, what can I do?

If you are overdrawn you can ask your bank for something called a “first right of appropriation on the £150 payment”. You can send them a letter and then the bank will not use it to pay off any overdraft. A sample letter is available here.